Sunday, June 9, 2013

The end of ski season...? Stoke dump.

I guess it's been a while since I last updated about skiing, other than my Wapta in a day experience. For those following along on Facebook, this is probably old news.

Spring felt fairly casual this year and we were able to ski some cool stuff.

Late March self powered Miner's Lap!

An exploratory ski into my favourite zone in K-country

Chris and Bill came up to Canmore for some Easter fun! It was really warm and it seemed like the skiing days were numbered






Skiing off a summit you can see from the highway and then into a fun glacier run?



Bill showing Chefren how it's done!
Booting up Narao left hand, but not quite topping out.
Then the storm rolled in, we retreated to a classic Kananaskis zone and continued to get some great skiing.
We were able to ski many neat variations. The lines are short so it is possible to ski lots of  them!



High winds, dumping snow, are you sure it is spring?

I was fortunate enough to be able to tag along on a multi-day trip to "check out the snowpack" for the summer nordic ski team training centre. Unfortunately, we didn't have the best visibility or conditions, but we were still able to get into some cool, rarely skied areas.

Playing on the Beatty bump


The next weather window came AFTER we got back and I had 2 really fun days at Chickadee.


Using the bike to pick up the car was way more fun than walking last year
Then I did the Dolomite circuit and Wapta in a day. Next a return to a fun line I skied with MT and Bill a couple of years ago.

Scott, another convert to the light(er) and faster game.

Spine powder 8's! Lots of slough!
Shut down by visibility/wind yet again on the FHR. There's always next year...

Oh, winter isn't done yet.
classic end of season Nakiska powder!

Yet another day at the Nob! 
Some great corn skiing days. I rolled over 100 days of skiing this season.



We really nailed Ptarmigan with great corn conditions. Maybe a little too soft down low.

The approach didn't suck with plowed roads up to where there was a reasonably supportive crust.
And winter is not giving up without a fight!

Getting some great turns on Eiffel
It was a great season. I raced and trained well, and I was able to ski some cool things. We had great conditions at Highwood. I had awesome races when it counted. Stability was good this year.The boards may come out again if rain down low means snow up high. I should have a video on the way if I ever get around to editing some of video I snagged.

No comments:

Post a Comment