Monday, May 23, 2016

5 Mountain Bike Races I'm looking forward to in 2016

Race the Ridge - Sunridge, May 28.

While I sometimes struggle in the twisty singletrack at Sunridge, I always enjoy racing in Edmonton. You know exactly what you are going to get. At Terwillegar, you get short, steep, punchy climbs. At Sunridge, you get longer, steeper, punchier climbs. And the race organizers have decided to ignore the complainers and we will be racing on the switchbacks of pain!

Mountain Maiden - Canmore, June 4.

Believe it or not, until I saw that the Spin Sisters would be running a NEW course this year, I was contemplating not even bothering to buy a race license. I even made a joke about how they were going to change up their tired, boring, high speed, old course (that everyone still seems to like). With a nice big section of the EKG trail, I'm pumped to be back racing on natural trails at the CNC! Will the other Canmore race step it up with a new course and offer more than a coffee mug and coffee for an elite podium?

Kootenay Krusher - Nipika, June 11.

If I decide to make it 3 weekends in a row of racing, there's quite the prize at the end. The scheduling of the Krusher has in the past conflicted with the date of the Maiden. Not this year, and if I feel up for it, I'll be able to race 2 laps of Nipikas 25km punishing singletrack loop with gorgeous views of the Kootenay and Cross rivers.

Marathon Provincials - Bragg Creek, Aug 7.

I saw the GPS track from this one and was instantly pumped. We're racing to the top! No more driving to the mountains and racing a half loop that barely leaves the parking lot. This loop looks to make a great ride in itself and we will be doing it 2..maybe 3 times?
https://www.strava.com/activities/580754307

Kootenay Sufferfest - Kaslo, September 3.

The organizer has stated this is the final year for the burly 100km point to point race, so I will try my best to make it out there. I had a great time in 2014 by riding at a sustainable pace and keeping on top of my nutrition, while really enjoying the huge final descent and singletrack to the finish line.

1 comment:

  1. Definitely gonna try for Kootenay Sufferfest this year!

    ReplyDelete